Every child is unique. Why is that so? Because every child has his/her own way to help them to think, process and understand a certain information. This is what we refer as learning.
A person could achieve better grade if he/she learns according to his/her learning style compared to those who don’t. Therefore we should explore our children’s learning style to optimize their learning.
The learning styles are as follows:
- Visual learner obtains information through reading or pictures, like reading books, examining diagram/graphic or watching video.
- Auditory learner obtains information by listening to the information like seminar or questions and answers session.
- Kinesthetic/Tactile learner obtains information by doing movements that includes physical activities like doodling, walking to and fro, moving hands or doing experiments.
You can help your children to identify their learning style by filling in the following quiz. Let your children do this test.
Please give a tick‚ on the statement that according your children best described him/her.
|Before doing something I always read the instruction first.|
|I prefer reading to listening to instruction.|
|I can point to North or South wherever I am.|
|I like writing letters, journals or diary.|
|When listening to others, I usually would picture what they said in my mind.|
|When looking an object in form of picture, I can easily recognize the same object although in different positions.|
|I often doodle on paper when talking on the phone or in the class.|
|I prefer reading a story to listening.|
|I can quickly do calculation (addition and multiplication) in my mind.|
|I like spelling and very good in spelling words.|
|I like to write down the commands/instructions given to me.|
|I prefer to listen to the information on tape to reading a book.|
|When I am alone I usually play music/song or sing.|
|When I talk, I like to say, I will listen to you. That sounds great.|
|I know almost all the lyrics of the songs that I heard.|
|It’s easy for me to chat with friend on the phone for a long period of time.|
|Without music, life would be very boring.|
|I like to get together and usually can talk easily to anyone.|
|I prefer music to painting.|
|I prefer talking to writing.|
|I would be greatly disturbed if someone speaks to me when I was watching TV.|
|I can easily remember what others said.|
|I prefer doing sport to reading books.|
|My room or table is usually messy or unorganized.|
|I like to design, do and make things with both of my hands.|
|I like sport and I am a good athlete.|
|When considering an experience, I often remember my feeling toward that experience.|
|I prefer to do demonstration to write a report of an event.|
|I usually talk slowly.|
|My handwriting is usually not neat.|
|I usually use my finger to point at the sentence that I read.|
|I find it easy to learn by actually doing it.|
|It is difficult for me to sit still for a long period of time.|
Excerpted from: Gunawan, A. W. (2004). Genius learning strategy: Petunjuk praktis untuk menerapkan accelerated learning. Jakarta: PT. Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
After filling in all the tables, sums up the total on every table. The table with the most is your child learning style.
If the most is on:
- Table A, then your child learning style is Visual
- Table B, then your child learning style is Auditory
- Table C, then your child learning style is Kinesthetic
After discovering the learning style, pay attention to the following strategies that correspond to your child learning style.
1.Learning strategies for Visual learner are:
- Use color coding to enhance memory by utilizing iridescent pens.
- Write the key sentences or key terms from the book.
- When learning about numbers or formula, write down your understanding about the material in written form.
- Mark the side of the book with key words, symbols and diagrams that would help you to remember the texts that you have read.
- Whenever it’s possible, convert the words and ideas to symbols, pictures or diagram.
2. Learning strategies for Auditory learner are:
- Join a study group to help you learn all the material.
- During self-study, speak out the information out loud.
- Use tape recorder to record all the important information and then listen to those information.
- When learning about numbers or formula, translate it into something that you could easily understand and then listen to it again.
3. Learning strategies for Kinesthetic learner are:
- Sit at the front of the class and make notes during the lesson.
- Walk to and from while memorizing important information.
- Write down key points on a paper or big cardboard to help memorizing new information.
- Think of ways to make your knowledge real, like holding on something related to the lesson. For example: when learning about plants, try to find the related plants and do experiments.
In order to find the appropriate learning style, parents should be willing to observe their children. Beside parents, the children should explore themselves by spotting every activity that makes learning process easier or more enjoyable, whether it is reading books, watching video, listening to seminars or walking to and fro.
The most important thing is that your children can optimally absorb the information. Don’t just stick to a conventional learning ways, like sitting quietly while reading a book. Instead, practice the most convinient learning style to your children. With appropriate learning strategies, every child could easily understand the lessons. Enjoy!
Gunawan, A. W. (2004). Genius learning strategy: Petunjuk praktis untuk menerapkan accelerated learning. Jakarta: PT. Gramedia Pustaka Utama.
Jester, C. (1999). Learning: It’s a matter of style. McGrawHill.
Shella Anastasia, S. Psi.
IPEKA Counseling Center